Friday, January 24, 2014

The Blame Game

And it begins.  Another parent of a 3rd grader received an email from a representative of Speaker Thom Tillis after she expressed her concerns with Read to Achieve.  Some important excerpts (with my thoughts in parentheses):

"There have been several inaccuracies regarding the Read To Achieve Program...  Many of these issues stem from a lack of communication between the Department of Instruction and local school districts." (Of course!  It couldn't be because anything is wrong with the law itself.)

He also listed the ways a student can demonstrate proficiency (thus avoiding summer school and/or retention):

-Pass the Beginning of Grade Test. 
-Pass the End of Grade (EOG) Test.
 -Pass the state developed alternative assessment.
 -Pass at a 70% rate the 36 passages in the student portfolio.  It is not recommended that all students be required to complete the portfolio as defined by the General Assembly.  Students based on teacher judgment should determine which students would be administered the portfolio passages.
 -A State Board of Education approved assessment, developed at the local level.

(Glad to get confirmation on the BOG. This means a whopping 23% of NC 3rd graders have already passed. *Update 1/28-only 19% of students have passed the BOG, not 23%.*
Speaking of inaccuracies, students actually have to score 80% on the portfolio passages.  There are 5 questions on each assessment, so if a student misses more than one, the score would be too low.) 

"Wake County Public Schools, along with many other school districts in the state, is planning to require this portfolio/testing process for all third graders, not just those at risk of not passing the EOG.  This is a decision that is being made at the local level, and is not required by state law."
(I understand why local districts have made this decision.  I believe the BOG counting towards proficiency is a new development that local districts are just now finding out about.  Also, I certainly would not want to be the teacher at the end of the year saying, "Well, I feel your child is on grade level, so didn't give him the portfolio tests.  Unfortunately, he bombed due to extreme nerves since the stakes on this test are so high for him.  Sorry I can't go back in time and give him those 36+ tests!")

 Lawmakers can blame local districts and DPI all they want, but this program is unacceptable.  Whether all the students do the portfolio, half the students (based on about half not passing last year), or selected struggling readers, the students are suffering.  NO student should be taking tests over and over and over instead of  being taught!

I do want to note that at least one parent in my district (which is requiring all students to take the portfolio tests) wrote a letter and the student is now exempt from taking the 36 assessments.  I want to  mention it so that other parents can consider that option.  The student would still have to meet one of the other requirements by law.

I am interested in the "State Board approved assessment, developed at the local level."  I believe this is what Representative Warren mentioned to me.  If anyone finds any information about what that might end up being, please let me know. 







10 comments:

  1. If I understood correctly from the meeting I attended, as of right now no one (state, school district or my child's school) has it in their budget to provide the funds to make copies of the assessments that are to be given to these 3rd graders. It is a waiting game at this point. All 3rd graders at my daughter's school (which is just shy of 100) are recommended to have portfolios done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for pointing that out. The more things like that I hear, the more it proves to me this program is completely ill-conceived. My son's school has started the tests, so it has to be either his school or the district paying for the copies. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am the mom of a 3rd grader with autism. He is in a separate class for AU students and receives 280 minutes of specialized education (his whole academic day.) He currently reads on a 1st grade level. He has reading goals in his IEP that are helping him make progress. He is scheduled to take the EXTEND 2.

    He is being forced to take the 3 weekly reading test on a 3rd grade level that take him 30-40 minutes each time for his portfolio. We have asked to opt out of testing, we have written DPI to complain, but have gotten no where. How is this testing compliant with his IEP? The testing is taking away from his instruction time. I understand it is inline with his curriculum, but how can taking a test three times a week help my child learn to read better, when he needs direct instruction to do so.

    We think it is cruel to ask our child to take a test over and over again that frustrates him and is clearly above his ability. We also believe he should be exempt from retention, due to the good cause exemption, so why must he assemble a portfolio of 36 failed test to prove nothing but the idiocy of the process. We wrote our school and asked them to stop testing him and they are still looking into it. I am outraged and ready for a parent revolution. This is absurd for any child to go through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First, this breaks my heart for your son. Second, you have so much on your plate as a parent of an autistic child--I am so sorry you are having to spend time on this. Kudos to you for standing up for your child.

      It sounds like you have contacted all the right people with your concerns and I am alarmed that he is still being forced to take the tests. This should not be the case. As misguided as Read to Achieve is overall, students only have to have ONE "good cause exemption" to avoid retentention. The law states one of the exemptions is:
      “Students with disabilities, as defined in GS115C-106.3(1), whose IEP indicates the use of alternative assessments and reading interventions (based on alternative achievement standards)."
      The portfolio tests are actually another one of the "good cause exemptions." There is no reason your son would need 2 exemptions and you are absolutely right in believing he should not be taking the tests. What district are you in? (Please feel free to email me rather than post here.) I'm ready for a parent revolution, too. But while changes are being made, there is no reason for your son to continue to suffer through this indignity.

      Delete
  4. We live in Guilford County and have put pressure on our system to come up with an answer for our questions. The principal verbally told us if our son was enrolled, he would have to be tested. I told her I want the decision in writing and to sit down with whoever was deciding this. I have yet to hear of a decision and my son will probably be tested tomorrow. I am fighting for him and all the other children whose parents may not know what to do. Hopefully someone with authority will come to the right decision, but I am already frustrated at the process to get answers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to be posting a letter a parent sent to her school later today. The letter did convince the principal to allow the student to opt out of testing (and this was a regular education student). A parent also forwarded an email from State Superintendent Dr. Atkinson who emphasizes not all students should be doing the portfolio. I think it is brilliant you are insisting the school's decision be in writing. My fingers are crossed that your son will not be subjected to this anymore. Please keep us posted!

      Delete
    2. We have sent a similar letter with no result. Could you tell me what county this was in? I would also love the email as well. If you can forward it to me at jcbeasley@triad.rr.com Thanks!

      Delete
    3. We are in the Rowan-Salisbury School district. I'll send the email now.

      Delete
    4. Exxtend 2 is exempt from the law! Here is an email from the state:

      I am replying to your email on behalf on Dr. Atkinson. Districts will be receiving clarifications in the next few days that students taking Extend 2 will be considered exempt from the law. The portfolio passages may not be appropriate for you son, but the teacher would be the best person to make that decision.


      Carolyn Guthrie

      I will keep fighting for all students who do not want to be tested. I am glad the nightmare has ended for my son!

      Delete
    5. I am so glad you got a response, Jeana. Thank you for continuing to fight--I am with you! I want to wish all the best to you and your son as he continues his school year :)

      Delete